Monday, December 12, 2011

Thanksgiving in Texas


















First-Up in my attempt to catch up on my blog: random photos from our trip to the 'Lone Star' State.
We had a great time catching up with family, walking around, sitting around, and eating. That was our trip in a nutshell, especially the eating & catching up part. Here's a brief synopsis:
We flew in & out of Austin but spent two nights in San Antonio, 2 nights in Austin, 2 nights in Houston, and then our last night @ the San Jose boutique hotel in Austin. Aside from that last night we were lucky enough (saves so much money!) to stay in homes (his brother's house, his aunt's house, my sister's apt). Strange, yes, we both have family in Texas. But so great to get to see so many family members, and where they live, all in one trip.
Of all the cities, I preferred Austin, which has funk & charm. However, I wouldn't say that I would want to live there; especially with all the humidity they get in the summer. My favorite areas (from what we saw) of Austin were the South Congress (or So Co) area along with Barton Springs. These areas feature tons and tons of restaurants & bars that all have really groovy outdoor patios. We had perfect, perfect weather the whole trip so we were able to take advantage of well, eating and sitting and talking on numerous patios.
Houston deserves a better rep. My sister drove us around to various neighborhoods (one looked like Melrose, one looked like Beverly Hills). There is diversity within this humungous city, and their downtown is actually quite beautiful. The most special part of the trip was spending time with my sister and seeing her Texas digs; she's been living there for years and I had yet to visit her.
I realized on this trip (well, I've kind of always known...) that I'm pretty horrible at taking photos. I don't put enough effort into documenting moments and areas and people. That's something I really want to work on. The photos above illustrate the trip in some way, though most were taken in Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment