Saturday, September 24, 2011

the half-way mark


hi Megan,
you're 20 weeks pregnant!

Baby's now the size of a cantaloupe!
Baby gulps down several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. And, these days, those taste buds actually work! Studies show that after birth, babies respond best to tastes they've already had via amniotic fluid. Meaning, think about what you'd like your future child to eat as you prepare your own lunch.

This time, when I got my usual Friday email from thebump.com, I couldn't help but gasp and say 'ohmygod' outloud at least twice. A cantaloupe!! I've officially entered the melon stage. Man, there's no turning back now!! It's official; there is a baby in my belly, it's growing at a rapid rate (especially lately) and will continue to do so until it's the size of a big, big melon: a watermelon. Holy crap. It's very exciting. And very apparent. Unless I'm wearing a loose shirt, that is. But in certain outfits, man is it obvious and people are starting to touch my belly. Which I don't mind. If I know you, go for it. I haven't had the attempt from a stranger yet, though, and I'm sure I wouldn't feel quite as willing.
Anyway, not only is the little guy or gal now the size of a small melon, I am halfway done. Give or take a week or two, depending on when I end up delivering....but in the grand scheme of things, halfway done. Has it gone by fast? Yes and no. We found out June 5th and it's September 24th; that's a long time. February will be here before we know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment