Wednesday, February 1, 2012


It's the first of February. We officially will not have a January baby. The only question is; when exactly will she arrive?
I thought for sure it was going to happen last night. I went to bed around 11pm and as usual, woke up about every hour to move, or pee, or walk around. At 3am or so, I woke up in very intense pain. My entire lower abdomen was aching, like menstrual cramps but spread wide from hip to hip, and up and down. The kind of pain that is crippling; I could hardly walk. Then I sat down to pee, and either the sitting position, or the pushing to pee, wreaked havoc on my back. My entire lower back felt like it was on fire. Not like a pinched nerve but like a backache, and that was worse than the stomach ache. 
I got back in bed and curled up and managed to fall back asleep. I was up and down every hour, trying to figure out what the pain was; early labor? false labor? After googling it in bed (i <3 my iphone) I determined it was false labor. The pain (contractions? I still don't know but I would bet) were too inconsistent to even time, really. Plus I kept falling back asleep. Throughout all this I chose not to wake Greg up. At around 7am he stirred, so I said "Are you awake? I don't think this is it, but I've been in a lot of pain" so we talked it through and I texted my boss and called my parents. Got back into bed, and slept on and off until 9 or so. 
It's now 9pm as I type this and I haven't felt the pain since 8am. I did not go into work. However, I felt normal enough to make myself a bagel and get dressed. Greg had today off luckily, so we stuck to his original plan which was an 11am appointment at the highway patrol, and I went along. They check your carseat installation for free. (During our hospital tour, we learned that 82% of carseats are installed incorrectly, and sure enough, ours was wrong). The officer was super nice and we learned more than I thought there was to know! We then went to Corner Bakery and I ate again; potatoes and eggs. I sure did have a strong appetite today. 
Afterwards, we came back home and got so much done. I feel so much better about our to-do list around the house; though there are still plenty of tasks to tend to, I at least feel so much better about the nursery. 
Overall, today was a great day and I'm glad that I listened to my body. Sure, I could have managed work after all, but I knew I wouldn't miss much as we've been so slow lately, plus what if the pains returned? I'd be screwed. 
So, now I feel like I've caught a glimpse into what contractions feel like. At least, that's what I'm assuming~perhaps I'll find out soon enough that they weren't. Either way, I'm looking forward to trying my best to describe to future pregnant friends of mine what contractions truly feel like, as you don't find descriptions in books.
We'll see how tonight goes.....!

No comments:

Post a Comment